Friday, February 15, 2008

Why I Can’t Support John McCain Under Any Circumstances.

Why I Can’t Support John McCain Under Any Circumstances.
*******************

First McCain insulted my family, and me, in 2000 in South Carolina. I have had “zero” use for him since. If there were no other reason, at all, I would not support him for that insult and that insult alone.


My family has been in South Carolina since the 1700’s. My roots are deep in the red clay and sandy loam of that state. She nurtured me, she succored me, and she gave my family a home when they clambered down the gangplank of the leaky old wooden bucket they called a ship onto the wharves at Charles Town, South Carolina. They hiked inland to a place called the 96th Precinct and there they settled. 80 years later they were embroiled in a war to defend their state from an invasion from the north. A number of my ancestors died in that war. At least one was hung by Sherman’s troops as they marched through my hometown… burning as they went.

I tell you this to say that when McCain (or anyone for that matter) insults the flag beneath which they died, it is personal to me… extremely personal.

McCain did that. Had he had my support, prior to that, he would have lost it instantly. As is was/is, he never had my support.

Look, I admit being a throwback to yesteryear. Hell, I even want to bring back dueling! I think it was an honorable way to settle differences. Unfortunately the government didn’t agree with me… and South Carolina finally outlawed dueling in the 1960’s. DRAT!

OK, with the “honor” problem out of the way… McCain is NOT a conservative. I know, I know, there is an argument that he IS. I don’t buy it. I have watched him side with the liberals and democrats in the Senate way too many times. I cannot trust him to do the “conservative” thing on any matter, which may come before him. I simply cannot trust him.

And finally, I just don’t like the man! Sorry, but there it is. He walks onto a stage… and I bristle immediately. He strikes me as a bully and I hate bullies.

And yeah, I am catching hell from fellow republicans because I will not fall in line behind McCain. Even in my local barbershop, jaws dropped when I stated I would not, under any circumstances, vote for McCain… period. (And I won’t!)

Look, I have paid my dues to the Republican Party…. and then some. All I expect in return is for the party not to dishonor me, not insult me, and to live up to their promises, or go down in flames while trying to implement conservative polices.

The Republican Party has now changed. It is no longer a political party for conservatives. My “discomfort level” is such that I am currently looking at the American Conservative Party, which is now in the formation stages. (You'll find The American Conservative Party at: http://americanconservativeparty.org/ )


I am approaching my 7th decade on this planet. I have learned, in all that time, that my father was correct. I think it was Will Rogers who said: “The older I get, the smarter my father gets!” I have discovered that truth and before he died I made damn sure my father knew that I KNEW he was right all along. He taught me: Honor. He taught me to protect the family name from tarnish. He taught me to have respect. He taught me to do my duty… even in the face of adversity. And he taught me to always, always, be my own man, never compromising my beliefs to anyone for any reason.

Let me tell you, in this era of compromise, having the internal fortitude to stand by what you believe and not bend, come what may, is an extremely unpopular thing to do. But, then, I never much cared whether people liked me or not.

My decision on John McCain as President was made in 2000. Nothing has changed to cause me to question that decision since. In fact, much has happened to enforce my belief that I made the correct decision. In any event, I cannot in good conscious vote for McCain, and I won’t.

Please don’t expect me to help save a political party, which has used me, abused, me, lied to me, and even dishonored me. I cannot, I will not, do it. If you feel compelled to do so, then by all means do so. I will not try to dissuade you. But I cannot.

Longstreet

Filed under:

1 comment:

  1. Please don’t expect me to help save a political party, which has used me, abused, me, lied to me, and even dishonored me. I cannot, I will not, do it. If you feel compelled to do so, then by all means do so. I will not try to dissuade you. But I cannot.
    ***********************************
    As long as there is corporate money involved in politics it will sadly be this way.... The biggest thing I like about Obama is all the contributions drug companies and Walmart gave to Hillary.....
    Good luck with that American conservative party, seriously it is rough (ask Nader) being a 3rd party. When one of the main 2 parties loose they will point fingers (much like the 2000 election) at you.

    ReplyDelete