Sunday, January 16, 2005

Is the US's use of torture acceptable?

Is the US’s use of Torture acceptable?



The short answer is yes!



Look, if this was a conventional war, maybe I’d feel otherwise. But this is far from a conventional war. On the surface it may APPEAR a conventional war. It is not. This is a slugfest in the shadows, and in the back alleys of the world. Men, you and I will never hear about, are prowling the far reaches of the globe in search of those who are planning to do this country harm and they are being eliminated with extreme prejudice. We see the caves in the hillsides of Afghanistan and the streets of Iraqi cities. That is the part of this war we see. That is the facade. Oh, it’s real, all right. But, it’s only a part of the war…. the visible part.



Men train for the part you don’t see just a few miles from where I sit as I write this. They are now loosed on an enemy who is bent on killing as many Americans as they can. The men I speak of have one duty…. to stop them. How they do it, is of little importance to me.



I am not interested in winning hearts and minds. I woke up a long time ago to the realization that life is real; it is not a game with all the rules set up by the conventions in Geneva. Simply put, you do what you must to win. Peace thru Victory. Call it what you will, I want my family to live safely. If that means taking the enemy out one at a time, by squads of men trained for that purpose, or taking out an entire country with a nuke, go for it.



If it takes torture to get the information that will lead to the capture, and death, of those terrorists planning attacks on this country, then do it. Whatever it takes.



We are living the scenario of the “Ticking Bomb”. We have no time to waste being nice. This is a life and death struggle. For those of you who have not come to understand that, maybe the next 9-11 will lift the self-imposed blindfold. There will be another, and another, until we stop them. If, and when, we stop them is so far into the future that I cannot speculate on its finish.



Until we can breath liberty’s air, without fear, again, we should do everything, and anything, that will hasten that day…including torture. No exceptions.



I remain,



Your Obedient Servant,



“Longstreet”





No comments:

Post a Comment