Sunday, March 20, 2005

Telephone terrorists


Telephone terrorists

Well, the telephone terrorists are at it again. Recently, I have been getting telemarketer calls … again. Every phone I have, including cell phones, are covered by the “Do Not Call List” at the FTC. The calls stopped for a while, but now they have begun again. I have heard complaints from others about this also.

It’s time to make the law tougher. There are too many loopholes. They must be closed.

Frankly, I don’t care if it is a charity calling. They are invading my privacy, unbidden, and that is wrong and I’m ticked off before I ever lift the receiver.

Is there anything more annoying than a sales pitch at dinnertime, or at bedtime, or heck, anytime for that matter, in your own home!

I’d like to see telemarketing completely outlawed by the US government.

Is there the possibility of having a phone filter similar to a Spam filter on the computer? The owner inputs numbers into an “approved list” and only incoming calls from those “approved” numbers will ever ring the owners phone, period.

Does such a device exist? If not, why not? (I seem to remember having heard of such a device.) It would sell, I should think, like hotcakes.

In the meantime I’m still going to continue to be surly to telemarketers. Plus, we need to put pressure on our respective states Attorneys General to clamp down on telemarketing laws in their own states. A number of states deferred to the federal Government for a law to control the telemarketers.

I am tired of being hounded, in my own home, by anyone seeking to sell me goods and services I have no inclination to buy. Had I, I would have gone to a local merchant and made the transaction.

If there are any two things I hate, telemarketing is both of them!

Your Obedient Servant,

“Longstreet”

1 comment: