Friday, September 29, 2006

Man's Future is in the Stars!


Are you as bored by NASA’s repeated trips to that flying piece of junk we laughingly call a space station. Are you as bored, as I am, that the space truck, “The Shuttle” is way past its prime and, well, apparently, is falling apart!

So… what happened? I mean, what happened to our great plans to explore space?

The cost? Nah! The real cost is in not getting off this planet and finding a new home! Man’s destiny lies out there… among the stars… among the planets.

I had hoped that before my days on THIS planet are over I would live to witness the first Mars colony. I assumed we would already have a colony on the moon. But, no… we are still fiddling around with that worthless metal can circling the earth… the Space Station.

The space station was originally planned to be a construction site. Parts for a huge star ship were to be flown up to the station by the shuttles and the humongous star ship was to be built in space with the workmen living in the space station until the ship was completed. None of that has happened. It’s as though the entire program has been put on hold and NASA is just running “in place”.

We gotta get off this rock! I worry that we have lost our desire to explore. Our horizons have become much too close. We, as a race, have turned inward and that is not good. It seems as though we have decided to “settle” for what we have here. We have lost our “vision”. We are withering on the vine.

I worry, too much, I know, that we have become so preoccupied with our little hovel that we are missing the really big picture and so much is passing us by. I cannot accept that this is all there is. My God would not have created us and plopped us down on this “dirtball” with no hope of getting off it! We are stifling ourselves. Man needs new worlds to discover. We need to stretch out, and extend our wings, and fly as far as we can! Even if we melt the wings… it would be worth the trip!

It has been a dream of mine since I was a tiny little fellow. And it just ticks me off that we pissed away our chance, in my generation, to make it happen and now I’m gonna die and not get to see it when it DOES happen! What a screwed-up world we live in!

America was a great country when she did not place limits on herself. She could do ANYTHING!

Today, sadly, we have self-imposed limits. It has become politically incorrect to spend the money necessary for the space program and not give it to the poor. I have to tell you… that is wrong! Even Christ himself said: “The Poor you have with you always!” Poverty is a fact of life. As Christ said, we are always going to have poor people living among us. No matter what we do! We cannot allow the poverty of a few in this nation drag down the entire nation. That is suicide!

Look, if man does not get off this tiny blue ball, we are going to exterminate ourselves. The fighting will eventually kill us all. Our differences are never going to be settled, so some of us need to leave. Much as our forefathers left the old country and settled this one, we have to strike out and find that new home. It’s out there. We just have to go find it. And we have to go soon!

Longstreet

1 comment:

  1. What happened to be fiscally conservative? Not that I totally disagree with you, I am a Trekie at heart. I was just askin', not bashin' ole' friend. I'd go now myself, so I could get the heck away from Bush and his cronies and start my own planet, send a "boat load" of fertile young ladies, and do things the right way.

    ReplyDelete