Wednesday, March 8, 2006

TR on Immigration and being an American... 1907


Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.


"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming, in every facet, an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

3 comments:

  1. Most immigrants in America are illegal immigrants and they are opportunists who have no real commitment to the future of America.

    If you give Nigerians the opportunity to choose which citizenship they prefer between America and Nigeria, 99% of them will choose America. Including the morons among them.

    If everybody flees Nigeria for America, then who will build a New Nigeria of our dreams.

    I am a proud Nigerian and I have never applied for the Visa of any foreign country. But, I have been employed by the Johns Hopkins University's Population Communication Services (JHU/PCS) in-between 1984 and 1990 and also employed by the Program for Appropriate Technology in Health(PATH) in 1985 for Family Planning projects in Nigeria and I also worked for the Unicef. I was well paid in dollars and I had the golden opportunities to migrate to America, but I did not do so. Because, I chose to serve my country Nigeria and I am very proud of what I have been doing for my country Nigeria since I won the First prize with my essay, "What I Like Best About Nigeria" at age 13 and I won another First Prize for my poem, "Song of Patriotism" in 1987.

    I don't like those who flee their country to escape from the sacrifices of nation building.

    I have read the "Vineyard of Liberty" by McGregory Burns on the making of the American Dream and the founding fathers of America have inspired me to love my country Nigeria and to do my best for her development and greatness.

    America should not pamper illegal immigrants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We true Americans are becoming 2nd class citizens when dealing with Illegal immigrants. We are not given rights, grants or oppurtunities that 'just hopped the fence' immigrants are given. It is very sad that we have American born people starving, unemployed and without government assistance, yet, just take an illegal boat ride or cross the Rio grande, and you get more rights than we do. I suppose that I would sneak in too, if i was a foreign person. Heres my blog URL http://anthonylemons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete