Thursday, February 16, 2006

New Orleans Waits to be Hit Again... and Bailed Out Again!


The 2006 Hurricane season will officially begin June First.

New Orleans is still pretty much a shambles. However, efforts are underway to rebuild the city in the same spot, as it was when Katrina stuck last year.

They tell me the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome each time. I refer you to the paragraph above.

Early season storms have a tendency to build in the eastern and southern Caribbean. They tend to travel west and north. New Orleans is sitting on a bulls eye. How many billions has this cost the taxpayers of the US already… with a very good chance that New Orleans will get hit again in a few months? It’s not a question of if, it is a question of when.

Yes, New Orleans will be flattened, flooded, and swamped again by a hurricane. And yet they continue to build the doomed city, right back, in the same spot.

It’s time for the American taxpayer to say “no more”! If you insist on rebuilding the city in a known storm entry point, then YOU, the citizens of New Orleans, take responsibility. YOU pay the price. We will not continue to bail you out. No more rushing the resources of a nation to your aid when you know, good and well, the city of New Orleans is going to get creamed again!

Remember the definition of insanity? Well, take a look at New Orleans.

When the storms roll through the Gulf this spring, summer, and fall, and they will, I have to wonder if the residents of New Orleans will leave when the next one takes a bead on the mouth of the Mississippi and New Orleans. Frankly, I expect them to do exactly the same thing as they did last year… squat, in place, and wait for somebody to save their collective rear-ends.

This is the mentality of a city, which sees itself as a ward of the US government.

New Orleans should not be rebuilt in the same location. Move it or lose it. The federal government should cut off the funds, for New Orleans, when the bills are paid for the last hurricane. No more.

As a resident of the hurricane alley of the east coast, I don’t suck from the federal teat and I don’t expect the government to continue to bail my behind out, either. We Tar Heels have way too much self-esteem than that. You see, we understand that response to these emergencies works this way: City, County, State and finally, the Federal Government… in that order. The Federal Government is NOT, I repeat, NOT, the first responder to a hurricane disaster.

Soon, I’ll begin checking out my hurricane supplies: canned food, water, batteries and such, in preparation for the storm that is sure to come. Why? Because, I don’t expect anyone to save my behind until I have exhausted all efforts to do so myself. It’s called self-reliance. If you live in a hurricane prone area, you’d better have it, or you’d better leave.

Longstreet

3 comments:

  1. Silliest thing I have ever read.
    The city is the fifth largest and sits at the mouth of a major american waterway. It has to be there.

    You probably won't ok this but I had to say my part

    ReplyDelete
  2. You knew I'd publish your comment after that challenge, didn't you?

    I don't agree that New Orleans has to be where it is. The Indans told the French when they began to settle there that that area flooded and it was not wise to build there.

    Move the city up river. The port of Wilmington is several mile up river from the mouth of the river upon which it located. We get hurricanes, too, durn near every year. But Wilmington doesn't flood. At least not yet.

    Pouring more taxpayer money into that swamp is just dumb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I agree. I have a post on why the federal gov't does not owe it to N.O. to rebuild here:
    http://nathanbradfield.blogspot.com/2006/02/is-new-orleans-owed-anything-to.html

    Nice post.
    Nathan Bradfield - Church and State
    http://nathanbradfield.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete