Monday, February 27, 2006

The Ports Management Deal WILL BE APPROVED!


Ok, lets see if I can make this as clear as possible.

The Ports Management deal will eventually be allowed to proceed and the UAE company will get the contract and will manage the ports.

I have come to believe that is the way this debacle will shake out in the end.

The Congress may, or may not, have hearings. The Congress may, or may not, pass legislation to delay the contract until they can "investigate" more. (A "delay" has already been instituted by the UAE company.) If the Congress finds they absolutely must pass some sort of legislation to delay the sale, the President will veto the bill. In that event, the Congress will "over ride" the President’s veto and there will be a few “show” hearings and, in a few weeks, the deal will be allowed to slip quietly to fruition. This is politics, folks.

You see, I look at Congress and I just cannot believe those people I see ranting and raving, on both sides of the aisle, about what a danger to our security this deal is, are serious! I just don’t believe it. I think they see this whole thing in the light of politics… period!

The Democrats have the labor unions to answer to if they don’t raise Cain. The Republicans have us conservatives to answer to if they don’t. But when all the smoke clears away, I see nothing but a bunch of self-serving politicians performing a kabuki dance, posturing for the cameras and the microphones.

That is a sad commentary on our political system… for both Political Parties.

I happen to think there is potential for a serious security breech at our ports. It makes complete sense, to me, to do everything in our power to make it as nearly impossible for such a breech to occur as it is within our power to make it. That includes... not taking chances we do not absolutely have to take. The Ports Management deal falls into the latter category… anyway you look at it.

Maybe it’s because I’m sitting down here, in one of the Mid-Atlantic states, just a few short miles from one of our state's major ports, or… maybe it’s because I don’t have to cover my behind with labor unions, or various wings of the other political party, that I am not encumbered with the confusing haze of all the bloviating from the right wing, or the left wing, that I can see this proposed disaster as the average American sees it… a possible disaster in the making, an unnecessary gamble we needn’t take.

But, then, I’m just a little ole country boy, down here in the swamps of the South who doesn’t know the first thing about economics, or national and international politics! You think? You might be surprised.

This is one of those times when I wish, and hope, I am wrong. But, my true feeling is that after a few weeks of strutting before the cameras, the Ports Management Deal will be allowed to go through.

It sorta makes you aware of just how “at the mercy” of our politicians we truly are, doesn’t it.

I’m not going to forget this by November. Oh, no. And you shouldn’t either. That’s what that little booth is all about. I WILL register a protest there on that Tuesday morning. They can count on it!

Longstreet

4 comments:

  1. Can't you see... many congressmen on both sides feel the same as me and you..... this is a nightmare. Who would have "thunk" that this could happen? We now have a dictator in office who thinks he is more powerful than congress. They "congressmen" should line up 1 by 1 to kick this clowns a**. Unfortunately in this country the majority of us are candy a**es. Oh well Mr. Longstreet here is a little comedy for you today.

    A man died and went to heaven. As he stood in front of St. Peter at
    the Pearly Gates, he saw a huge wall of clocks. He asked, "St. Peter, what are all those clocks?"
    St. Peter answered, "Those are Lie-Clocks. Everyone on Earth has a
    Lie-Clock, and every time you lie, the hands on the clock move."
    "Oh" said the man. "Whose clock is that one?"
    "That's Mother Teresa's. The hands have never moved," St. Peter
    answered, "indicating she never told a lie."
    "Incredible" said the man. "And whose clock is that one?"
    St. Peter responded, "That's Abraham Lincoln's clock. The hands have
    moved twice, telling us that Abe told only two lies in his entire life."
    "Where's George W. Bush's clock?" asked the man.
    "Bush's clock is in Jesus' office," St. Peter replied. "He's using it as a ceiling fan."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fear that you are correct, Longstreet. Frist has already caved in to the Bush administration. I have a feeling that most Republicans will follow.

    The day the ports deal goes through will be a sad day for America...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think national healthcare has its pros and cons. one pro is that eveyone is insured. the con is that our healthcare system may drop in quality and it gives the government greater control which i dont like.

    I like freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is one question I just posed to a verry pro Bush co-worker. I asked her what she thought about the whole port deal. She said she didn't know. (That is Bush-lingo for I don't want to agree with you you liberal). for all of you who support this deal (except Bush.... He's a moron) How would you feel if one of these guys got on a plane and sat down next to you, your wife, your children, or your mother?"

    ReplyDelete