Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Apologies and Groveling! Both Disgusting!


I am sick and tired of apologies!

Past US Presidents, political candidates, public figures of all stripes, and even the “Hollywood Crowd”, have glommed onto the politically correct public demonstration of weakness. They are traveling the world apologizing for all the “mistakes” America has made, or they themselves have made. It is sickening!

First… to apologize, at all, makes one appear weak. Second… an insincere apology is even worse… because it not only shows weakness it demonstrates one’s ability to lie, as well.

Past President Bill Clinton is a Past Master at it! Jimmy Carter is running a close second!

And now… Mel Gibson! My GAWD! How disgusting!

I don’t share Mr. Gibson’s feelings toward our Jewish brothers and sisters. But, if that is his opinion, then so be it. He’s entitled to it as well as I am entitled to mine.

But, here’s the thing: Don’t spew your hatred on one evening, then come back, the next day, an offer an apology... more than once.

Now, I’m not going to question whether Mr. Gibson’s apology was sincere, or an attempt at a "public relations repair job". I don’t know… and I really don’t care. What does trouble me, however, is the groveling! I would have retained more repect for him, had he simply made one apology and then... shut the heck up!!!


Groveling seems to have become a national sport among our US politicians! They’re apologizing for every sin the US has ever committed. Over and over, again!

In the first place, I don’t want them apologizing for me. How do they know I am sorry, anyway? Heck, I may NOT be sorry! And as my family, and friends, can tell you, if I am not sorry, I refuse to apologize.

And another thing: Many cultures around the world see an apology as a sign of weakness. If a nation offers an apology, that nation drops in the esteem of the nation to which the apology is offered.

Back to the groveling.

In the case of Mr. Gibson, I don’t care what his views are. He’s a Hollywood actor, a very good one at that, but I don’t place any confidence in what he says or does… simply because… he is an ACTOR! Same goes for all Hollywood actors and actresses. But, the groveling is just too much. Mr. Gibson should have apologized only if he meant it… and then… only once. Any apologies, after the first is, in my humble estimation, is groveling. Groveling is disgusting.

The same goes for our national representatives, such as past presidents, who apologize for wrongs, committed by the US, decades and even centuries ago. All their actions accomplish is to make the US look weak and to make those of us, who do not share their opinions, even more disgusted by them and their actions.

There is a huge difference between apologizing and groveling. And I don’t like either!


Longstreet

No comments:

Post a Comment