Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Protecting the US Flag is Un-American!


The Flag Protection
Amendment
went down to defeat, again, by
one vote, in the US Senate,
on Tuesday, June 27th, 2006.)

I’m confused. (Again!)

I’m a Southern American. Some would say a Confederate American. I’m a veteran. I’m a member of the American Legion AND the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Back in the mid 1860’s nearly all my male ancestors, who were old enough, or healthy enough, to walk and carry a firearm of some kind, made their way to the nearest recruiting station and joined the Confederate Forces. They fought for Southern Independence. They lost.

Once again, my family became citizens of the United States.

Now, I won’t bore you with the history of my family in the old country: England, France, Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands, etc. But suffice it to say that if you have studied the history of western civilization, you have read of the exploits of my family. Sometimes they were on the “good” side of history and other times they were on the “bad” side of history. But they were always involved in the current events of their day.

Now, having said that… let me say that I rather enjoy celebrating my heritage, especially here in the USA, and the CSA. But, elements in our society say I am a racist if I choose to fly the flag my Confederate ancestors fought, bled, and died under. Most days I fly it, anyway, right off the post of my front porch. On the other post, in the proper position, on the left, I fly the flag of my country, the USA. I honor both flags.

But, if I want the Congress to pass legislation to protect the flag of the USA, I am, somehow, a fascist? A “nut” who wants to take away the citizen’s right to free speech?

Now, let me see… I cannot honor the flag of my ancestors. That is somehow disloyal to the US. But… I can abuse, defecate on, urinate on, smear feces on, tear, burn, and in sundry other ways, destroy the flag of the United States, and that, somehow, is considered free speech, and an example of my loyalty to the US??? You have got to be kidding! Or, you are smoking some of that “funny weed”!

Can you see how screwed-up that sort of thinking is?

OK. I understand the Left, and a few strangely misled people from the middle of the political spectrum, are going to stand in the way of the Flag Protection Amendment until the last man. It’s what they do. It does not matter that 80% of Americans want it passed. It doesn’t matter that all 50 states in the US have petitioned the Congress to pass such an amendment. It doesn’t matter that the amendment would be ratified in record time. No! None of that matters, at all.

You see… in typical fashion, THEY KNOW what is best for you, the lowly citizen, the riff-raff, the “great unwashed” of America. They see you/us as the dumb cash cow, unable to decide for ourselves, well, basically anything of importance. It is their duty, you see, to look out for YOUR welfare. God knows… you are simply incapable of doing it on your own. So, no matter that you want the flag of your country protected against abuse. NO! You cannot have it… for no other reason than they must keep us in our place!

They view the US as one great plantation. They are the overseers. You and I are, well, the “help”. I won’t use the word, which readily springs to mind, because I can then be accused of racism… again!

Ok! They are not going to let us protect our flag.

All right, then give us federal legislation to protect us from prosecution, or lawsuit, when we decide to levy a little punishment on those who would abuse our emblem. I mean, beating the living daylights out of a person, or persons, who would defile the flag of the United States of America IS a form of speech, isn’t it?

Damn right! At least where I come from!

Longstreet!

10 comments:

  1. Countries that already outlaw burning the national flag include China, North Korea, Iraq, Iran and Cuba. Nice group you want to join there Mr. Longstreet. It's a damn piece of cloth, or polyester today that is probably made in China, I'd be more worried about the trampling of the constitution. Can't we get real issues handled? I don't see too many flag burning ceremonies today anyway. you defend all the crap these right-wing extremists do, illegal wire tapping, illegaly tracking spending, wait until you see that your precious second ammendment is coming under fire.... That's right these idiots are checking into every gun owner in the U.S. Is that enough to get you guys off this crap and deal with real issues, like the unobstructed intrusion of the government into all our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just think it is a shame that we allow countries, such as those you named above, to ban the burning and descration of their national flags before we do. And, we WILL. We're gonna keep coming with this until we get it passed... if it takes a hundred years.

    As to the issues... the main issue, right now, was to get the folks on record who do not support conservative causes. It worked. Now we have names. These are the people conservatives will be going after in November.

    We set a trap... and they fell right into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the failure of the conservatives in Congress and the Whitehouse you actually want more? You must be totaly partisian and a cook, ole' friend. How about a bill to defend net neutrality? You know if ATT and Verizon get their way if you don't pay alot of cash (Mucho Denerah) your web site might not load...... I know we have opposite views, that doesn't mean I want to shut you down.... Shoot I love the challenge of trying to enlighten you... See we are so concerned with the symbol of free speach that speach itself may be silenced.... Sad day for this country ole' buddy. Shoot if you weren't so callously (spelling) defending these guys I might actually agree with you on alot of issues, but you've been dooped, it's the republicans that trample the constitution and errode our freedoms, all for profit and the almighty dollar. I would rather control and regulate clean air and water than not regulate an equal opportunity to be heard on the web, or on public access T.V. i said it before if we occupy them, (and the Dems. are great at crusading), with the enviornment and world injustices, our government will be too busy to invade our lives. You will see, hopefully before it is too late, how wrong the republicans are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you say conservative causes, like they are some grande thing... The only cause I support is living free, or dying on my feet, never living on my knees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy,Frank
    Put down the pipe. Back away slowly.
    The bill defeated in the Senate
    would not have outlawed flag-burning. It WOULD have provided the
    means for states to enact laws protecting the flag;a right stripped away by YOUR beloved LIBERAL Supreme Court. Another point,Frank. EVERYONE who LEGALLY
    purchases a firearm has a background check run.Didn't your hero,Slick Willy,implement that?
    Frank, you're paranoid. Seek professional help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question, Longstreet, how many times in the last year has the U.S. flag been burned in the U.S.?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Question, Longstreet, how many times in the last year has the U.S. flag been burned in the U.S.?"
    ******************

    Laura: As a dues paying member of the American Legion, please allow me to answer in the words of Wade Habshey, deputy director of communications for the American Legion. He said: "Whether it happens one hundred times or it happens just a few times, it's wrong," he said. "The core issue here is people are focusing on the act of the flag desecration. They need to look at the mentality, [which is] that this is not the Supreme Court's prerogative to change or amend the Constitution - that belongs to the will of the American people."

    Flag desecration was against the law, from the founding of the country until 1989, when a liberal Supreme Court AMENDED the constitution, THEMSELVES, by ruling that flag desecration is protected speech. Their ruling also changed the law in 48 states which had "state laws" protecting the US flag from desecration.

    There is something desperately wrong with a people who cannot show love and respect, for their country, by showing respect for their country's icons. It is a terminal illness in the people of that "sick" nation. There is a rotten cancer, at the core of that people, and it will spread until the entire country is dead at it's heart. This country is in desperate straits at this moment. It's very soul is threatened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Frank sounds pretty sane to me. I think it's the people promoting this amendment or who did promote it that need to check themselves. What was the number of times a flag was burned in the last year?

    "If a jerk burns a flag, America is not threatened. If a
    jerk burns a flag, democracy is not under siege. If a
    jerk burns a flag, freedom is not at risk and we are
    not threatened. My colleagues, we are offended; and
    to change our Constitution because someone offends
    us is, in itself, unconscionable."

    -Rep. Gary Ackerman (D-New York)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Frank sounds pretty sane to me. I think it's the people promoting this amendment or who did promote it that need to check themselves. What was the number of times a flag was burned in the last year?
    ****************

    Thanks.... I agree with Ackerman 100%.
    To Texas Fred, I would never burn a flag, I am a better calibur person than that, I just believe we do not need to make it criminal do we? With all that is going WRONG in this country we need to fix the big stuff first. We don't need this "smoke a mirror" legislation now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a non-issue. During 2005 the flag was burned once. It wasn't burned to make a statement. I was burned by a drunk 16 year-old kid by accident.

    Burning the flag is a despicable thing. It does not, however, cause me to lose a single right that I have as an American citizen. Nor does it threaten any of my rights.

    ReplyDelete